Things You Should Do
- Dress appropriately. Malaysians are generally accepting of hot pants, slippers, and tank tops, but in the right locations for the right occasions.
- Shake hands with men when greeting them, but not women unless they offer to do so first.
- Do follow simple rules when visiting places of worship. You will usually be required to remove your shoes before entering. Be sure to dress decently for such visits.
- Insist on metered taxis, as haggling will usually end up with you paying a heftier price.
- Do use your right hand to receive or give something. The right hand should also be used for eating. It is considered discourteous in Malay custom to use your left hand when you hand over or receive things.